Spring Planting, COVID Style!
What happens when you buy 250 seedlings, but the stay at home order says you can’t leave the house? You ask (very nicely) the land owner to help you out and plant them!
That’s what happened for our spring 2021 planting. And the great news is the weather was apparently perfect. The location was once again the McKim-Garsonnin property and Ralph McKim not only picked up the seedlings, he got them in the ground! He also reported that the survival rate of what we planted there last year was 97%!
As we begin to open up again, we may do another small planting, just to get some volunteers out so they remember the joy associated with physically planting trees!
Thank you again to all that donated! Stay tuned for some other initiatives we are planning!
About Plant a Forest
Plant a Forest is a simple initiative.
- Work with landowners, farmers and conservation areas to help create biodiversity.
- Raise money for a few trees and shrubs at a time
- Find individuals/families to help with the planting
- Include an educational component
- Focus on smaller projects
- Get matching funding if available/practical
- Plant trees in the spring and fall
- Learn and blog about the ups and downs
- Inspire others to create their own projects
Together we can Plant a Forest!