3 Cadet Corps Help Plant 1000 Trees!
It was another lovely day for planting trees. What made it even more special was the fact that we had the assistance of 3 cadet corps from Clarington, Port Perry and Lindsay, along with a few volunteers. Together they helped plant 1000 trees.
The plantings were part of the continuing expansion of an animal corridor at Sheidow Farm. A big thank you to Ron Awde and Robert Ertel for their hospitality and photographs. A fun day was had by all!
One of our objectives is to educate youth on the importance of planting trees for biodiversity. Getting them to come out and get their hands dirty planting a 1000 trees is a great way to create lasting memories.
The cadets did a great job and can return in the future to see their trees grow.
This year alone, we were able to plant 2,000 trees. Not bad for a concept that started in March 2019!
About Plant a Forest
Plant a Forest is a simple initiative.
- Work with landowners, farmers and conservation areas to help create biodiversity.
- Raise money for a few trees and shrubs at a time
- Find individuals/families to help with the planting
- Include an educational component
- Focus on smaller projects
- Get matching funding if available/practical
- Plant trees in the spring and fall
- Learn and blog about the ups and downs
- Inspire others to create their own projects
Together we can Plant a Forest!